ABA AdLaw Section’s Annual Homeland Security Law Institute, September 25-27, 2017
The American Bar Association’s 12th Annual Homeland Security Law Institute (HSLI) will be held this year at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., on September 25-27, 2017. This three-day event is one of the largest gatherings of homeland security lawyers and policymakers in the United States. The Institute is an annual look at the state of security from cybersecurity to infrastructure, immigration to oversight and the roles of the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security, the Military, the FBI, the legal profession and many more in keeping the country secure.
This year’s program will focus on cybersecurity and the global relationships necessary to facilitate security, privacy, and commerce around the world. We look forward to a robust dialogue among our key international partners regarding common core values and practices.
Below are a few panels on cyber:
FUNDAMENTALS OF CYBERSECURITY LAW & POLICY
- Joshua M. Snavely, Dean & Professor, Langston University, Oklahoma City, OK (Moderator)
- Frank J. Cilluffo, Associate Vice President and Director, Center for Cyber and Homeland Security at George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- Kevin Minsky, Associate General Counsel, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., McLean, VA Jill Rhodes, Vice President & Chief Information Security Officer, Option Care, Chicago, IL
- Daniel Sutherland, Associate General Counsel, National Protection and Programs Directorate, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C.
- Lucy L. Thomson, Founding Principal, Livingston PLLC, Washington, D.C.
THE ROLE OF REGULATORS IN CYBERSECURITY: PART I – THE FEDERAL PERSPECTIVE
- Kiran Raj, Partner, O’Melveny & Myers, and Former Deputy General Counsel for Cybersecurity, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C. (Moderator)
- David Glockner, Regional Director, Chicago Regional Office & Head of Cybersecurity Working Group, U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission, Chicago, IL
- Iliana Peters, Senior Advisor for HIPAA Compliance and Enforcement, Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Washington, D.C.
THE ROLE OF REGULATORS IN CYBERSECURITY: PART II – THE STATE PERSPECTIVE
- Hon. Sean Reyes, Attorney General of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT (Moderator)
- Hedda Litwin, Cyber Counsel, National Association of Attorneys General, Washington, D.C.
- Matthew Fitzsimmons, Assistant Attorney General and Chief, Privacy and Data Security Section, Office of the Connecticut Attorney General, Hartford, CT
- Devin Laiho, Senior Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Colorado Attorney General, Denver, CO
- Robert Morgester, Senior Assistant Attorney General and Chief, eCrime Unit, Office of the California Attorney General, Sacramento, CA
THE ROLE OF LAWYERS IN CYBERSECURITY
- Hon. Stevan E. Bunnell, Partner, O’Melveny & Myers, and Former General Counsel, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C. (Moderator)
- Angeline (Angie) G. Chen, General Counsel, Siemens Government Technologies, Washington, D.C.
- Alisa L. Chestler, Shareholder and Chair of Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity, Baker Donelson, Nashville, TN and Washington, D.C.
- Gus P. Coldebella, Principal, Fish Richardson, former General Counsel (Acting), U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C.
- David R. Fontaine, Chief Executive Officer, Kroll and Corporate Risk Holdings, LLC, Washington, D.C.
FUNDAMENTALS OF INCIDENT RESPONSE
- Hon. Shawn Henry, President, Crowdstrike, Former Deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Arlington, VA (Moderator)
- Megan L. Brown, Partner, Wiley Rein, LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Eleanor Blume, Special Assistant Attorney General to California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, U.S. Department of Justice, Sacramento, C.A.
- Hon. Danielle C. Gray, Partner, O’Melveny & Myers, Former Assistant to the President and Cabinet Secretary, The White House, Washington, D.C. & New York, NY
- Chris Krebs, Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection, National Protection and Programs Directorate, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C.
- John Reed Stark, John Reed Stark Consulting, Bethesda, MD
INTERNATIONAL LEGAL ISSUES IN CYBERSECURITY & PRIVACY
- Hon. Suzanne E. Spaulding, Former Undersecretary for the National Protection and Programs Directorate (NPPD), Washington, D.C. (Moderator)
- Thomas McDermott, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Cyber Policy, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C.
- Paul Rosenzweig, Principal, Red Branch Consulting and Senior Advisor to the Chertoff Group, former Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C.
- Hon. Bruce C. Swartz, Deputy Assistant Attorney General and Counselor for International Affairs, Department of Justice, Washington, D.C.